Debby@Home

“I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might humbly learn to obey. I asked for help that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hope for; almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I among all men am truly blessed”

My Photo
Name:
Location: Depok, West Java, Indonesia

I am an ordinary woman with extraordinary interest in everything

Friday, June 27, 2008

Vision

Couple of days ago we had a meeting with our president university. The young and restless president university is a very good orator, with his well-spoken and quite easy to understand speech. At that time, I was indeed mesmerized by his speech.

He spoke about the diamonds the university must create to be a world class university. He then elaborated what he meant about the diamonds: creating nobel laureates and publications in international journals. None of the above has been reached by our uni.

Then he mentioned about combining the 12 faculties and one graduate program into only 3 faculties (faculty of health sciences, faculty of science and technology, and faculty of social and humanities). By combining them, research efforts are expected to be focused and multi-disciplined. He is working on it right now.

I was awed by this breakthrough. Actually this is not the first effort in Indonesia, since as far as I know, ITB has been through this. But in UI, with its mafiosos in the faculties, this is really a hard work. He needs to be well prepared, he needs to find the best men to be placed in the direct subordinates of his.

Then I reflected on my faculty, my poor poor faculty with it's never ending excuses of why the faculty members didn't come up with research efforts all these years. Why only the older staff member to be granted higher degree education and let us the younger ones to wait until they all get educated (my dear friend Eko said emotionally to these fact: they only let "the almost died staff members" to doctoral degree! :-)) They don't even care about using SIAK-NG or SIPEG with the 'gaptek' and age factor reasons! Alamaaakkk....And paradoxically the president uni talked about our badly need of ICT to enable the faculty members to enter the worldclass mainstream research university and global research institutions. Sad oh sad....he must work hard on us.

When at a meeting before the above meeting, a young staff member from FIB told our president uni about his vision of.......(he never could finish his part since he was cut up by the president). Then the president told him/audience: "it is me who has vision...i'm the president. it is your task to implement my vision."

Well...the problem is, everyone has his/her own vision...the bad news is...if one vision contradicts the president's vision, is it good for the institution?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home